The following are beginner ideas on getting secured and unsecured loans online:
- - If you’re looking for a personal loan don’t make multiple enquiries to different lenders in a short space of time; this may have an harmful affect on your credit rating.
- - Debt consolidation can be used to clear up a group of smaller loans, like charge card or other debts; these can be amalgamated into a single loan, normally with a slimmed down monthly repayment. This works best if you negotiate the consolidation loan yourself i.e. get a cheaper loan to pay off more expensive debts which have higher interest rates.
- - Be wary of promises of getting a loan deal quickly. A lot of applicants are told that their finance offer will close within a specific time. They don’t make repayments on existing debts, in anticipation of the new finance deal. After a few delays, they become overdue, with no cash from the new loan deal. Some lending agents then order new credit rating reports, and charge the borrower higher fees, and/or a higher rate, because of the delinquent loan(s), which resulted from postponements caused by the lending agent themselves!
- - Ensure you grasp and are willing to pay all of the fees listed. Origination fees are usually about about 1% of your finance deal. If you have bad credit, you will likely have to cough up higher rates and fees, but shop around. Beware of words such as “No cost to you”. Some financiers will tack on closing costs to your balance rather than demand you provide cash upfront at closing. Ensure you understand all of the fees you are paying.
- - Beware of ‘An Offer Of A Lifetime’; the deal that seems too good to be true. A few lending agents may quote much lower than average. If you you can never speak to the same loan officer again, or you have to spend a lot of time ‘on hold’, this indicates the quality service you are likely to get. Keep a copy of every check you write for your finance deal. If you call your lending agent about your loan deal, ensure you get the full name of the person to whom you speak.
- - All inquiries for your credit report within a 14-day period will count as one inquiry if you are looking to refinance your home, a mortgage, a home equity loan, or a car loan. Such loans are secured on valuable property. If you are seeking a _personal_ loan or credit card, however, each inquiry will be counted separately. The loans are not collateralised by valuable property, so are more risky for the financier.
- - A loan deal is an contract between an applicant and a lending agent. When you are researching finance, you must first determine what type you’re looking for: a personal, auto, debt consolidation, poor credit or a bridging loan. Amongst the variety of loans ‘on sale’ there are two basic kinds: unsecured and secured. Secured loan deals are those whereby you set some property against your finance deal as security for the broker. Unsecured loan deals do not expect any property to be set against them but they attract higher interest rates and it’s necessary to have a good credit record to obtain finance of this type. Personal loan deals are useful when you need to cover certain expenses or you need to make important purchases.
- - The total cost of your finance will depend on the annual percentage rate (APR), and associated fees. The APR takes into account the whole interest amount and associate fees. The lower the APR figure the less finance costs will be. Interest on loan deals is charged in one of two ways, as either a fixed or variable rate. A fixed interest rate is guaranteed for the whole term of the loan deal and it won’t be subject to market fluctuations. The variable interest rate is usually lower than fixed interest rates in the beginning; however they do not offer the security of a fixed interest rate. Once you make a final decision on a loan, make sure that you are aware of the total costs involved, including any extra fees attached to early repayment. You need to be sure you can afford them.
- - Lenders consider a variety of things when working out how much you can borrow, like your income, employment status, expenses and credit history. Different companies use different rules but most of them follow these guidelines. Top lending agents are subsidiaries of the main clearing banks and they can arrange competitive rates to guarantee you a loan deal that suits your money needs, with payments you can afford.
- - Ensure you ask your financier about early repayment, since a lot of them will charge you a fee if you decide to pay off your finance deal earlier than was first expected. Some companies may offer flexible bargains allowing you to make under or over-repayments. It’s important not to over-extend yourself. Leave a portion of your regular monthly income aside as coverage for emergencies and unexpected bills. Before signing off on anything, find out exactly what would occur in a situation where you are able to pay off your finance debt earlier than anticipated. The lending agents terms may be different to whatever you are expecting.
- - It is necessary to understand every word of your finance application before you sign, including terms and conditions, because a loan deal may become too expensive by adding APR and other fees.
- - Start with banks and well known credit-unions and building societies. Start with your current bank. These are large brokers with solid reputations, so scamming should not be a problem. Although you may not get the best rate with a large financier, the security you obtain can frequently be worth it.
- - As with so a lot of other purchases in life, there’s a price point below which you’ll not be gaining a good quality finance deal. See for yourself: get a few quotations from different brokers. Some can shave a half-percent here or there, but you may repay it back with fees, insurance or potential penalties later. Keep an eye on the small print.
- - Do a budget. Ensure you use realistic figures. Keep an account of all of the cash that you spend in a month. Use this to help you create the initial draft. Review and update it regularly. An accurate budget allows you to get the most ‘bang’ for your money without beggaring yourself, while taking aim at wasteful spending.
- - Verbal quotes are not worth the paper they’re printed on; get them in writing, and get more than one. You may ameliorate your credit ranking by only having one or two credit-cards and paying them off in good time. Dump lines of credit you don’t need. The smaller you can make your finance, the better. Loans, like credit-cards, are a dear way to get money. If you can beg or borrow from friends or relatives to bulk up your cash-at-hand, do so. You will feel a good deal more tranquil if you are only paying out a few hundred, rather than a grand, a month.
- - There are loan deals available, even to people with bad credit. Your rate is partly calculated on the basis of the risk of default; a good risk receives a lower rate, a lousy risk, a higher one. It’s like a bookie calculating the odds, and offloading bets. The trick is finding the best finance deal for you, given your circumstances.
- - Avoid taking on a fat loan deal thinking “Well, I can always go bankrupt if I get into trouble”. This is dumb. If you go bankrupt, it will be entered in the records of the County Court and you will find it very difficult to get credit with anyone in the future, except at usurious rates. Credit referencing agencies make it their business to sift court records, to keep their databases up to date.
- - Overpay your loan if you can do so without penalty, especially if your payments are re-calculated week-to-week or month-to-month. This means you will incur much less interest over time, and get peace of mind sooner. Get your outstanding loan deal amount down, and get on with the more enjoyable things in life. If you have several small loans with various lenders then you can combine them all into one monthly payment. The easiest way is to get an inexpensive loan to pay towards more costly ones, such as credit-card debts.
- - Always make sure you understand the terms of the finance and exactly how much you will have to pay back over its term compared to other offers. Make sure you compare like with like. Credit cards and easy lending can be a curse. You can get into default if you do not keep track of your revenue and outgoings. You get a nice-paying job and find that you are being proffered credit cards by various companies. If you are smart you will find a low interest card from a solid financier, sign up, keep track of your purchases, repay your credit card bills in full each month, and disregard offers from other lending agents (and your current one).
- - Lenders will accept some applicants with a lousy credit history; it depends on their own internal credit-credit system. There are providers who charge fairly low rates of interest. You just need to fill out a basic form. To make sure that you are getting accurate quotes, fill out the form as completely as possible BUT without making yourself a target for identity theft (hint: they don’t need your mother’s maiden name or your exact date of birth!) A small variation in revenue or employment dates can reduce or increase your interest rate.
- - If making an application over the internet, you should not have to pay processing fees, as there is minimal human labour involved. You can cut out a lot of bureaucracy and cash in the approval process. Research providers. Only by requesting quotes and comparing the small print can you be sure of getting the lowest rate. With some internet sites you can make side-by-side comparisons, while other internet sites will email you multiple loan offers.
- - Loan brokers work diligently to attract clients by negotiating lower rates with lending companies, so you frequently will find nicer deals through their internet sites than through the high street or newspaper or TV ads. You should note that the finance application process will be affected by the amount you are trying to borrow, your debt-to-income ratio, your credit history and other factors.
- - Make sure your credit report doesn’t have any errors or discrepancies. If it does, send off a correction request to the broker with the mistake; either CallCredit, Equifax, TransUnion or Experian. You should really know how much of a loan you can afford.
- - If you have okay credit and are seemingly a good candidate for a loan deal, web brokers will be keen to offer you a minimal rate and the best terms possible, in order to get your business. Interest rates are, however, only part of the overall picture. So when assessing internet companies, be sure to ask about closing costs, prepayment penalties and other aspects of the “small print”. It’s essential that you get everything in writing. This is excellent fiscal practice in general, but it’s especially important with large financial deals.
secured loans UK | cheap secured loans | secured personal loans UK | UK secured loans
I hope these few basic tips will be of some use to you in getting a worthwhile internet loan offer.
Jim O’ Reilly is an author for secured loans UK and best mortgages internet sites in London, Great Britain.